Sunday, March 21, 2010

Re-loaded

I admit, I'm a little nervous about "this", as "this" and all the words following, are in fact a calculated attempt to return to the world of public writing. I've been sheepishly hiding out behind my laptop for the past 14 months, hoping that a few half-hearted efforts to document my Chilean experience would magically transform into something cohesive. Turns out I actually have to write the words down for them to reflect any sort of anything I've experienced. Fancy that. And so, here we are, slightly over 2 years since my initial arrival to Chile and what is there to be said? It no longer seems appropriate to characterize this blog as a What Happens When You Travel Abroad sort of piece. The truth is, now I just live here, and the gamut of emotions and uncertainties I once pinpointed on my awkwardness as a foreigner in a strange land I currently blame on my mid 20s, geographical context aside.

Just under a year ago, a coworker of mine at the time uttered something I'll never forget. We were discussing the occasional strangeness of the lives we lived, and that from time to time we forgot we were the ones who had opted to to have them this way. He said, " I want to escape a lot and run away, but then I remember I already am away." The look on his face when he said it was a mix of perplexity and resolve, a contradictory combination matched only by the confusion of the realization itself. It's a peculiar sentiment in which to be encased, a bit of simultaneous contentment and longing as though there's something else out there to find even when you're smack in the middle of the something you once sought.

In the meanwhile, I'll at least be writing about it...

3 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Happy that you're back. I love reading your words, Caira.


And yes, I think I use the blog too, to try and figure out why and what I am doing. It doesn't help, I still have no idea :)

Andrea said...

Muffin, those words are so wise ... especially for those who are here for "the time being" or whatever you label "not forever."
Is there running away in running away? Where do you go?
What does it mean when you build our reality in the same place you ran away to? (Sorry the grammar sucks here.)
Ah, this is for sure to be a fantastic blog, my pookie bean. Can't wait to learn more about you and I know I'll enjoy reading things from your perspective.
Welcome back to the blogging world!! You were missed!

Emily said...

Yay! I knew if I just kept you in my Google Reader forever something would eventually happen.

"It's a peculiar sentiment in which to be encased, a bit of simultaneous contentment and longing as though there's something else out there to find even when you're smack in the middle of the something you once sought."
You so eloquently sum up what I feel.