Thursday, March 13, 2008

Involuntary Pololafication

Let´s say I was to call you up in Atlanta, Georgia and ask you out on a date. If you were interested, (and you have to be, because this is my hypothetical game), you´d say yes and we´d go out a few days later and then maybe I would call you a few days after that and maybe you would pick up because you thought there was a chance you might like me but you weren´t sure and you didn´t want to seem obvious and plus you didn´t know if I was calling because I felt like I had to call to be polite or if I was calling because I really wanted to call and even if it was because I wanted to call, one phone call doesn´t really mean anything anyway. You get my drift.

Now let´s imagine this entire scenario happens in Chile. What? You can´t picture it? That´s right you can´t! You know why? Because something like that would never happen in Chile! If I was to call and ask you out and you picked up the phone more than once, why, tada! You´re my boyfriend! I hope you don´t have any plans the rest of the month, because your nights and weekends should be kept free for the time I want to spend with you. Oh, and I´m going to keep calling until I get ahold of you. I may even call back to back, because Caller ID means nothing to me and if you don´t answer the first 6 times, I feel certain I can wear you down with ring 147. And besides, I have your email address.

Now don´t get me wrong. There are exceptions to everything and I´m sure there are plenty of non-committal, uninterested daters wandering around the city somewhere, but for the most part, ¨play it cool¨isn´t a phrase that´s been translatable. There´s nothing wrong with this, but coming from a country where 6 months of regular interaction with a person of romantic interest does not a relationship make, I´m a bit reluctant to jump on board with the idea that 2 phone calls = true love. A mis-placed text message here and there and you´ve got yourself a brand new pololo - (boyfriend, for the non-Chilean speakers) It´s true. Apparently, it is actually possible to meet, go out, and consequentially have to break up with someone after the alarming realization that they´ve branded you as their girlfriend in the course of 4 days. For those of you living in the United States, scoff as you will, but just ask resident expert Meredith Hutcheson. A couple hours of sightseeing and she had an invite to the Mothership of status formations: a family wedding.

So now to ponder what´s more bizarre: The shameless way in which these South American men profess their feelings after a few songs on the dance floor, or the revulsion we North American females experience when such makes an open effort to court us. Muy interesante.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Thanks for the shout out, my dear (I wonder if now I can google myself?).

And I can add a new anecdote: Elisa and I spoke to some guys for maybe half an hour at a bar on Tuesday, somehow numbers were exchanged (thankfully not mine since I'm the deaf-mute). Next night: 8 missed calls. So I´ve been forced to abandon the "just don't kiss anyone" approach. Just the act of giving a phone number can lead to attempted pololafication by force! Luckily Valpo is quite small, so maybe I can work out some sort of a stalking routine wherein I secretly figure out whether someone is cool before even establishing eye contact.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

That's not love. True love is digging through the trash to find out what kind of products you use and food you eat. Then using those products and telling you to eat better. The law might call it something else, but that is love. Do you still eat Healthy Choice?